Sonni's Family and Our Friends

Bringing together the people who matter the most to us in a place where we can communicate with each other about our daily lives or discuss issues that are important to us. Let's have fun!!

Sunday, September 19, 2004

Edith Ferden's Baby PIcture

There can only be one original old photograph of anyone, but over the years the person in the picture has many descendants. Many people lose the knowledge of who they came from. A couple years ago my mother or sister Karen gave me photo copies of quite a few pictures I want to share. Because of the age and quality of these pictures I have spent quite a few hours "fixing" them. Some of them, one pixel at a time. I enjoy doing that kind of anal retentive thing. Any of these pictures you can copy off the web and put into your own photo albums.

nana ferden  Edith Ferden, my great-grandmother, was born in 1890 and died in 1967. She married young - at age sixteen and had four living children and three children who died of crib death at around six months old. I can not imagine her heartbreak. Her oldest living child is my grandmother, Lois, age 90, who still lives in Grass Valley across the driveway from my mother, Wilma, and her brother Alan and his partner Jim. Lois's sister Dorothy lives in New England. Brother Ellsworth, and sister Barbara are no longer living.

Nana Ferden rasied my mother and lived with us in our household until her death. She made the absolute best bread pudding, mollasses cookies, and baked beans that would cook all day in the oven. Living with her wasn't always easy because I was definitely not a child that was "seen but not heard"!

I spent many hours staring at her picture as I worked at trying to get the flaws out. She was a stunning baby. I'm going to post more pictures of her throughout her life. I wish I knew more about her younger years. I know she had a difficult childhood because of preferential treatment of her younger brother, but I really don't know anything about him or his family. If anyone does - I'd like to know. Her father encouraged her to marry young to get her out of the house and away from her mother. She was only a teenager when her first two children died. The first child was a girl named Alma and I have a picture of her and Roscoe holding her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home